Following on from yesterday’s post, I’ll be discussing my plans for reducing my TBR in 2019. I definitely need to get down and do this, because I would LOVE to be a person who can go into a bookshop and pick up my next read without feeling pulled down by all of the books waiting to be read on my shelves.
So here are the rules for my 2019 book buying ban!
- Write a list of all the books I actually own and intend to read, and donate any books that no longer interest me.
- Make sure to write a TBR at the beginning of each month but not feel tied down to those books if it’s only going to put me into a reading slump.
- Create a space on my bookshelf for any books that I haven’t read yet so they’re not mixed in with books I already have.
- Buddy read books that have been sitting around for ages so that I can capture some excitement about them again.
- No bookish subscription boxes.
- Create solo readathons on my days off but invite others to join in too and if a readathon comes up that I’m miraculously available to do, then do it.
- Avoid charity shops and second hand bookshops at all costs so I don’t create some weird loophole in my book buying ban.
- Not picking up any free books or accepting review copies.
- If I do go to YALC I’ll judge my circumstances at the time and decide whether or not I’m allowed to buy any new books.
- Create a list at the beginning of the year of any new releases throughout the year that I am allowed to buy and not stray from it.
- Do wrap-ups at the end of each month so I can keep track of how well I’m doing.
- I will be able to buy sequels of books I already own if I’m that desperate to read them but I’m not allowed to begin any new series I don’t already own unless they’re on my list I create at the beginning of the year.
- If I’m struggling to focus on classics I will read them alongside a different novel so I’m not solely focused on that one book.
- Book ban will run from the 1st of January through to the 24th of December 2019.
And there you have it! Am I crazy? Am I stupid? Perhaps. But I’m also oddly excited! Are you attempting to reduce your TBR in 2019? Do you want to join me in my challenge? Let me know in the comments and thank you for reading!